897855 A Branch of Connecticut Northrops 1619 to Present


Northrops


Family Tree
 
Before the founder England
 Joseph Northrup            

1619(1639)-1669
Milford

 Joseph Northrup             narrrow

1666 Milford ~ 1736
 William Northrop   
 

1694 Milford ~ 1737
 William Northrop
  
 

1731 Greenfield ~ 1800
 Lois Northrop
&
1732 Newtown ~ 1805
John Northrop, Jr.
(Jeremiah 1652 line)


1754 Newtown ~ 1810

Peter Northrop              

1778? Washington? Newtown? Kent?~1855 Warren
Amos Northrop                


1803 NY? Kent,~1875 or 86
Alvin Northrop

1844 Cornwall~1906 Southport
George Elmore Northrop



1871 Southport ~ 1923 SouthportGeorge Ives  Northrop     


 1905 Southport/Norwalk ~ 1980 Fairfield Alvin Jennings  Northrop  


Hannigan

Ives

Jennings

Keeler

Webster (offsite)

This is a work in process and there are still other possible fathers for Amos.

Other Amos Father Possibilities arrow

Names Source?
Allen (William line) wife of Joseph bro to William1694
Alvin

 

Alvin spouse of Sarah Wakeman Alvord and Alvin Jennings Northrop perhaps from Alvin Bradley ? spouse of another Lucy Ives
Alvord Alvin's wife Sarah
Anzo-
netta
from book character AnzonettaPeters by John Alonzo Clark - fatherwasEpiscopal missionart western, NY. There may well be a family connection?. Isaiah served as a private in Captain Samuel Clark's Co, also Nehemiah wifea Clark, also Episcopal Rector Samuel Clark New Milford 1768 on also served Kent.
Baker William Fenn Northrop's wife
Barber
Molly Barber Chaugum connection
Barthol -omew Connection to Rachel Ives Lucy Ives Wallingford married Bartholomew children born Cazenovia, Madison, NY [prob cousin Lucy Ives b. 1815 in CT married Garrett Andrews ]
Beach

Gerrit Northrop's son in law

Beecher RachelConnection to Rachel Ives brother Ransom Ives Wallingford married Eunice F. Beecher
Benedict  
Blakes-
lee or Blakes-
ley
RachelConnection to Rachel Ives sister Ruth Ives (Wallingford) Jonathan Webb Blakeslee Wallingford
Booth William's son William III m. Elizabeth (Jeremiah line d/o Jonathan and Ruth Booth) Rachel check other Calebs Connection to Rachel Ives Caleb Ives Wallingford, Durham & VT married
Sarah Booth
Bradley Rachel Ives possible cousin Lucy Ives m. Alvin Bradley (parish of Mt.Carmel),
Alvin married (1) Lucy Ives on 31 Dec 1797 in Hamden,   Alvin married (2)Abigail Hall on 3 Feb 1802 in Hamden, .[prob cousin Lucy Ives b. 1815 in CT married Garrett Andrews moves and dies Linn County, Iowa]Also David Bradley (not Alvin's brother -- Amos and Rachel's neighbor in 1800 Kent
Brins-
made Brins-
mead
 

Bulkley

Alvin's son in law

   
Burr burr history Alvin's daughter plus other burr connections
Butler Rachel Ives Mother was Sarah Butler (Ives)
Castle /Caswell Aner Ives (neighbor and cousin /uncle to Rachel), Abigail Northrop d/o Benjamin (Jeremiah Newtown) m. Sybil Castle her sister Eunice married Ebenezrer Castle
Chamber- lain

Sarah Alvord sister-in-law

Chaugum Probable Barbour listing of marriages only known Amos in the area at the time Amos 2nd or 3rd wife Susan daughter of Samuel. Susan's mother Miss Green, brother Solomon m.Sophia Bills, brother Benjamin no listing
Clark William1794's son Nehemiah1733 m. Anna Clark1738
Drew William's dau Mary "Nory" m. John Drew1724
Elmore Alvin's son William's son and ??? A Good possibility that this somes from someone with a Keeler ancestor
Fenn

could Jeremiah's wife be Phebe Fenn??? Alvin's son ALSO through Rachel Ives Hannah Ives married in New Haven perhaps married to Austin Fenn's of Theophilus (buried in Litchfield) or Edward. Hannah died Weston, VT? Austin Fenn, b. 23 Dec 1763 his mother's surname is Austin , d. 30 Jul 1845, . Hannah Ives (d. 20 May 1829); ) or Edward. Hannah died Weston, VT? in VT by 1801 and perhaps as early as 1794. Austin Fenn, b. 23 Dec 1763 his mother's surname is Austin married before 1793 prob in Vermont by 1805, d. 30 Jul 1845, . Hannah Ives (d. 20 May 1829);
----------------------
Also neighbor in 1800 Kent. Also lived close to Ives in 1790 Wallingford

Frances Alvin Daughter, Frances Josephine ??? OR Connection to Rachel Ives Charles Ives m. Mary Frances Wallingford their son (Rachel's nephew) is Elihu
Francis Alvin son who died young b.1835
George  Alvin Son
Gerrit or et Alvin's brother Gerry in Census
Gilbert William1694's dau Johanna m. Ebenezer Gilbert
Gillet (William line?) William1694's brother Job m Mabel / Mehetible maybe Gillett
Griswold Rachel probable check other Levis Connection to Rachel Ives brother Levi m. Huldah Killingworth thru 1826
Gunn (William Line, Samuel line) Wife of Ephraim bro of William 1694
Hall Gerrit Northrop's son in law Connection to Rachel Ives Elihu Ives b: 8 Feb 1764 in Wallingford married Phebe Ann Hall 1792 in VT by 1797 children born Ludlow, VT OR [may be a cousin, Elihu Ives ] Married Polly or Mary Northrup in Cheshire (Dau of Joel & Mabel Sarah Bird) and second marriage to Lucy Whittimore
Hard (some sources say it's a version of Hurd)  
Hemson Sarah Alvord brother-in-law also 1880 neighbor
Hubbell William's dau Abigail1731 &/or Elizabeth m. Jedediah Hubbell1720 kids b. Woodbury & Newtown He has 6 marriages. Williams1794 nephew & ward, Isaiah (s/o) Job m. Mary Hubbell1746
Ives George Ives middle name, grandson of Alvin Amos' wife, also Rachel sister Olive Ives m. Joel Ives Wallingford
Elihu Ives is Rachel's nephew ( son of brother Charles)Charles)
Jelliff William's first carpentry partner and Southport neighbor Also John Benedict Jelliff (1850 New Canaan )m Emma Frances Northrup (Ridgefield)
Jennings

Alvin J. Middle name and Sarah's mother and sister-in-law Also possible through Samuel Mead Northrup (1817) s/oPhillip ???

Josephine Alvin's daughter Frances Josephine ??? from Joseph?
Keeler

Mary Keeler Middle name

Kirtland Sarah Ives m. Isaac Kirtland Wallingford
Louisa Azonetta  Alvin’s daughter spelling? ??? May be Antoinette
Meeker Alvin's son in law 
Millard

Amos' sister-in-law (Gerrit's wife Elizabeth Betsy Millard )
also Sarah's sister-in-law Nelson Alvord's 2nd wife Adelia Millard

Mills

Alvin's son in law

Munson Aner Ives conection also Patty Munson married Caleb Northrup, s/o Abel both Milford
Peck (William line) William1666, William's brother Job m.2 Violet Peck
Porter (Jeremiah Line) William's dau Lois m. John (Jeremiah line s/o John Northrup & Mary Porter) Ruth Porte r(d/o Timothy b.1702) w/o Gamaliel Fenn 1800 Kent neighbors John, Joseph, William Gould and Mabel married Porters
Prichard (William line) husb of Hannah sister of William1694
Rhode(s) (William line) Wiiliam's dau reported as Herodias1725 died 1740 is this a last name?
Roberts William's brother John m. Rebecca
Sanford  
Shepard William1794's son William III 2nd m. Mary Shepard
Smith (William line) Is Abel1740 m. to a Smith?
Terrill (William line) William1694 2nd wife
Thorp

Sarah Alvord sister-in-law

Wakeman

Alvin's wife

Whitney William dau Anne, Annie, Amy m. Capt. Samuel Whitney1711
William

 Alvin’s eldest son

   
   
   

 

 

 

1790 Census
free white males
over 16;
free white males under 16;
women of all ages; "all other free people"
slaves
5 columns

 

1800 Census
head of family

free white males
FWM < 10

FWM age 10-1
FWM age 16-26
FWM age 26-45
FWM 45+
free white females
FWF < age 10

FWF age 10-16
FWF age 16-26
FWF age 26-45
FWF over age 45
# all other free persons
# slaves

 

1810 Census

City or township
Name head of family
free white males
FWM <10

FWM 10-15
FWM 16-25
FWM 26-44
FWM 44+

FWF <10
FWF 10-15
FWF 16-25
FWF 26-44
FWF 44+

#all other free persons

#slaves

 

1820 Census

Name head / family

free white male
FWM < 10

FWM 10-16
FWM 16-18
FWM 16-26
FWM 26-45
FWM 45+
FWF < 10
FWF 10-16
FWF 16-26
FWF 26-45
FWF 45+

# foreigners not naturalized
# engaged in agriculture
# engaged in commerce
# engaged in manufacture
# Slaves
MS <14

MS 14-26
MS 26-45
MS 45+
# female slaves
FS< 14
FS
14-26
FS 26-45
FS 45+
free male colored persons
FMC < 14
FMC 14-26
FMC 26-45
FMC 45+
free female colored persons
FCP < 14
FCP 14-26
FCP 26-45
FCP 45+
all other persons except Indians not taxed

Several of these columns were for special counts, and not to be included in the aggregate total. Doing so would have resulted in counting some individuals twice. Census takers were asked to use double lines, red ink or some other method of distinguishing these columns so that double counting would not occur. For example, the count of free white males between 16 and 18 was a special count, because these individuals were also supposed to be tabulated in the column for free white males of age 16 and under 26. The other special counts were foreigners not naturalized, persons engaged in agriculture, persons engaged in commerce, and persons engaged in manufacture.

Census takers were also instructed to count each individual in only one of the occupational columns. For example, if an individual was engaged in agriculture, commerce, and manufacture, the census taker had to judge which one the individual was primarily engaged


1830 Census

head of family
Address

free white males and females

in five-year age groups to age 20
in 10-year age groups from 20 to 100
100 years and older

number of slaves and free colored persons in six age group
n
umber of deaf and dumb

under 14 years old
14 to 24 years old
25 years and older
number of blind
foreigners not naturalized


1840 Census
head of family
Address
# free w males females
five-year age groups to age 20
10 yr age groups fm 20 - 100
100 years and older
#slaves free colored six age groups
#deaf and dumb
# blind
# insane idiotic in public or private charge
#persons in each family employed in seven classes of occupation
# schools & number of scholars

number of white persons over 20 who could not read and write

number of pensioners for Revolutionary or military service


1850 Census

name
address
age
sex
color (white, black, mulatto)
deaf / dumb, blind, insane or idiotic
value of real estate owned (required of all free persons)

profession, occupation or trade of each male over 15 years of age

place (state, territory or country) of birth

whether married within the year

whether attended school within the year

whether unable to read and write (for persons over 20)

whether a pauper or convict

1860 Census
name
address
age
sex
color
(white, black or mulatto)
deaf , dumb, blind, insane or idiotic
value of real estate and of personal estate owned (all free persons)
profession, occupation or trade of each male and female over 15 years of age
place of birth
(state, territory or country)
married within the year
attended school within the year

unable to read / write (for persons over 20)
a pauper or convict


Housatonic Times

Covering New Milford, Brookfield, Sherman, Washington, Bridgewater, and Roxbury
Historic Resting Places for Old Brookfield Families Published: Thursday, August 30, 2012
By JAN HOWARD

Former town historian Peter Thompson cleans a gravestone at Merwin Brook Cemetery. Photo by Alice Tessier.

Five historic Brookfield cemeteries are protected and cared for by the Historic Cemeteries of Brookfield Association, ... of the Brookfield Museum & Historical Society. ...originally named the Old South Cemetery Association, .... Some of the town’s earliest citizens are buried in these historical burial grounds, including veterans of the Colonial, Revolutionary, and Civil wars and town and church leaders. The three earliest cemeteries — Huckleberry Hill, Merwin Brook, and Northrop — were located on farms. As ... burial grounds were closed became part of the farms. Some stones fell to the ground and were covered by soil or undergrowth or were damaged by vandalism. earliest cemetery stones were usually slate, sandstone or freestone. Marble began to be used after 1800. Many stones featured ornamentation and symbolic designs, with arched tops and carvings of death’s head and wings, representing mortality, and side panels depicting flowers, vines, and fruits. Later, the cherub’s head, urn, and weeping willow were favorite designs. Letters were usually Roman capitals until the introduction of lower case letters during the Revolutionary period.
Huckleberry Hill Cemetery

FINDAGRAVE
The Huckleberry Hill burial ground is Brookfield’s earliest cemetery, dating from the late 1700s through the early 1800s. It is located on Old State Road, near the junction of Federal Road. The Wildman house opposite (now the site of the Assembly of God Church) was known as the “pest” house. It was said that those with smallpox were taken to this house and then, when they died, were buried across the road. The Cemeteries of Brookfield book lists 13 known burials here, bearing the names of the Barlow, Bradley, Bristol, Bush, Lobdell, and Wheeler families. According to Emily Hawley’s “Annals of Brookfield,” “Mr. Charles Stuart, a resident of Brookfield, recalled when this spot was in use as a burial ground, as he taught the Huckleberry School in his youth.” Ms. Hawley wrote that the inscriptions on these stones were faintly legible in the early years of the 20th century. Many years ago, Judge Samuel Sherman had the existing headstones moved to Central Cemetery. At that time, a shovelful of soil was removed from each gravesite. Some stones bore the names of families related to Mr. Sherman, according to the “Annals.” The reason for removing the stones is unknown; however, one theory is that the road needed to be widened and the stones were in the way. A few years ago, the Historic Cemeteries of Brookfield Association worked with the property owners, the state archaeologist, and the town’s Planning Commission to have a portion of the area identified as a cemetery. As a result, the burial ground will remain separate from development of the adjacent property. In 1995, Timothy J. Jaquith, as an Eagle Scout Project, cleaned the area and put in benches. A plaque on a large boulder identifies this site as the Huckleberry Hill Cemetery. Employees of the Town of Brookfield maintain the site.
Merwin Brook Cemetery

FINDAGRAVE
The town’s second-earliest burial ground, Merwin Brook, is located on the Gurski Farm open space off Obtuse Hill Road, and it was named for the brook that runs through the property. The brook may was most likely named for the Merwin families whose homes were located nearby. The cemetery, located to the west of the brook, has been fenced, and a sign identifying the cemetery was designed and created by Ryan Blessey, a member of the Conservation Commission that oversees the property. Unfortunately, many of the stones in this burial ground have been lost or broken. A few were standing until 1918 and five were visible through the 1950s. Historic Cemeteries members and other volunteers have been working to find and uncover the tombstones that have been buried under the earth for up to 90 years or longer. Radar imaging of the cemetery took place in 2004, at which time the gravestone of Lucy Bennett, who died in 1806 at age 17, was found. Other potential gravestones also were indicated during the imaging, but some have not yet been uncovered. This burial ground was in use between 1778 and 1810. In Miss Hawley’s book, published in 1929, she noted a Brookfield resident, Harmon S. Lockwood, told her that in his youth 50 stones were visible, and he thought there were probably additional interments that were unmarked. A newspaper story written between 1882 and 1905 stated that approximately 16 tombstones were visible at that time, plus six pairs of common stones without inscriptions or initials that appeared to mark as many unknown graves. Some of the stones mentioned are among those recently uncovered though others have not been located. In 2003, the town of Brookfield purchased the final portion of the Gurski Farm, which included the cemetery. In August 2007, cemetery association members discussed the need to locate tombstones here and how best to preserve them once they were found. Several work sessions have been held, and, to date, 12 tombstones and one footstone with the name Merwin, possibly a plot marker, have been uncovered. Most of the stones are of white marble or blue slate. Among early settlers buried here are members of the Hawley, Wheeler, Merwin, Northrop, Bennett, and Baldwin families, including at least two Revolutionary War veterans, Asa Northrop and Samuel Hawley. Both of their gravestones are visible. One of the tombstones uncovered is that of Stephen Hawley, one of the first settlers of Brookfield and large landowner. According to “Annals of Brookfield,” he served in Colonial wars in the mid-1700s. Nehemiah Hawley, son of Stephen, was on the committee appointed in 1780 by the General Assembly for inspection of provisions for the Revolutionary Army. An epitaph of Henry Baldwin, who drowned at age 22 in 1798, reads: “Here lies interred a blooming youth, He lived in love, and died in truth Call and behold as you pass by As you are now, so once was I, As I am now so you must be Prepare to die and follow me.” Brookfield employees mow this cemetery, and members of the cemetery association conduct spring and fall cleanups.
Northrop Cemetery

FINDAGRAVE
This burial ground is the third earliest. It was established for the convenience of the Danbury portion of Newbury and is located on the west side of the railroad tracks off Stony Hill Road, landlocked between a business, railroad tracks, and town protected wetlands. It is not easily accessible because of its landlocked state and is completely overgrown. Most of the stones have been destroyed, some by vandalism, or are lost in undergrowth. Though the current adjacent property owner has allowed access to the cemetery, there is concern regarding continued access under future owners. Brookfield’s cemetery book lists 60 known burials. In 1910, Emily Hawley counted at least 50 headstones. Among those interred here are members of the Dunning, Dibble, Gray, Sturdevant, Northrop, Stevens, Beebe, Vrorman, Barnum, Benedict, Glover, Smith, and Stevens families. Burials date from 1788 to the 1850s. They include five Revolutionary War veterans—Ezra Dibble Jr., Capt. Ezra Dibble, Jeremiah Dunning, Isaac Gray, and Joshua Stevens. Deacon John Dunning, one of the first deacons of the Congregational Church, and Deacon Joseph Beebe are buried here. In 1908, the tombstones were clearly visible to rail passengers, according to a June 20, 1908, story in the Danbury Evening News. The story noted the tombstones were weather stained and inscriptions were illegible. On Jan. 4, 1964, then Town Attorney A. Searle Pinney issued a clarification edict to dispose of a legal challenge by Ernest Marquardt that the cemetery was part of his land. Mr. Pinney stated that the law protects ancient burial grounds and that the town has a right to maintain such graveyards. In 1989 and 1991, there was legal review by the Connecticut Historical Commission to ensure the 24-foot wide right of way for the Iroquois Gas Transmission pipeline would have the least impact on the cemetery. In the fall of 1991 it was agreed the line would be drilled along the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad right of way on the eastern edge of the cemetery but drilled under the entire cemetery. In 2010, Boy Scout Troop 5 partnered with the Brookfield Museum and Historical Society to rehab the cemetery as a service project to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. The Scouts removed brush and fallen trees and installed granite boundary posts. They also placed a four-foot-tall granite post inscribed Northrop Cemetery, 1778 - 1860” and “BSA Troop 5, 2010.” Scouts and parents worked a full day at the site. The first person buried in Northrop Cemetery was Thomas Barnum. He died Aug. 19, 1778, at age 21. His clearly legible granite headstone exists within the roots of a large tree growing around it. Another legible tombstone is that of Lucy (Smith) Dibble, who died in 1858 at the age of 92. She appears to be the last person buried here. Another legible stone is that of Phebe (Smith) Dunning, who died in 1807. Parts of broken stones are also in evidence. The following epitaph was copied in 1908 from the tombstone of Jeremiah Northrop: “Dearest father, thus hast left us. And thy loss we deeply feel, But tis God that hath berefit us—He can call our sorrows heal.”
Old South Cemetery
FINDAGRAVE
This burial ground is located on the corner of Sunset Hill Road and Whisconier Road. According to the town’s cemetery book, there were more than 328 burials here. Some families buried here bear the names Camp, Smith, Hawley, Peck, Baldwin, Babbitt, Canfield, Dibble, Dunning, Fairchild, Lockwood, Northrop, Wood, and Sherman, among others. The first person buried here was Lucy Gunn, the 3-year-old daughter of Abel and Lucy Gunn, in 1792. In 1794, her father donated this property to the town to be used as a burial ground. Col. Isaac Hawley gave the western section in 1805. His wife was the first adult buried here. The cemetery was in use for more than 100 years. Also among those buried here are Dr. Preserve Wood, the town’s first physician and a Revolutionary War veteran who was appointed a surgeon’s mate in July 1776; four deacons of the Congregational Church— Michael Dunning, Ashbel Dunning, Mathew Baldwin, and Luther Smith; and the town’s first town clerk, Elijah Starr. In addition to Dr. Wood, 15 other Revolutionary War veterans are buried here: Samuel French, Nathan Gregory, Liverus Hawley, Capt. Sidney Hawley, David Keeler, Nathan Keeler, Isaac Lockwood II, Nathan Merwin, Samuel Merwin, Andrew Northrop, David Peck, Capt. Joseph Smith, Capt. Elijah Starr, and Daniel Wheeler. There is also one French & Indian War veteran, Benjamin Hawley, and Joseph Smith, who may have served in Colonial wars. There are three Civil War veterans buried here — Charles Hayes; William Henry Holley, who was wounded and captured at Cedar Creek, VA and died a prisoner of war at Salisbury, N.C., on Dec. 11, 1864; and Lemuel Peck, who died in service on Dec. 6, 1862. In 1984, Michael Fisch removed dead trees and brush and made a sign for this cemetery as part of an Eagle Scout project.
Gallows Hill Cemetery
FINDAGRAVE
This burial ground is located on the east side of Federal Road on the border with New Milford. In 1734, the town of New Milford passed a resolution to establish this as a cemetery. The land, donated by a member of the Nobel family, was measured and laid out by Selectmen James Hine, Nathaniel Bostwick, and Joseph Bostwick. Tradition states that the name of the cemetery came from a man who had committed murders and was hung here. The town’s cemetery book lists 292 burials. For many years this was the burial place of people who resided in the northern section of town. Among them are members of the Baldwin, Bassett, Bostwick, Camp, Hubbell, Keeler, Knapp, Lake, Morehouse, Palmer, Stebbins, and Wildman families. The first person buried here was 3-year-old Benjamin Waller; the last was Charles Vincent, in 1923. There are 12 Revolutionary War veterans interred here: Thaddeus Baldwin, Israel Camp, Abel Edward, Levi Merwin, John Morehouse, Dr. Eli Perry, David Bostwick, Samuel Ruggles, Joseph Tomlinson, Capt. John Warner, Martin Warner, who also served in the Colonial War of 1759, and Samuel Ruggles, who was captain of Newbury’s first military company. The tombstone of John Morehouse is of interest. The carver apparently ran out of room on the stone and finished the last letters of his name above the others. There is one Civil War veteran, Dr. D.W. Knowles. An inscription recorded for a 14-year-old girl reads: “Alas sweet youth not all your charms could save you from death’s icy arms.” One for Stephen Bennett notes: “An honest man is the noblest work of God.” Huldah Camp’s epitaph reads: “Lye still and sleep in silent shades Enjoy a quiet rest Let no disturbing foe invade your calm and peaceful breast.” Samuel Orcutt’s “History of the Towns of New Milford and Bridgewater” lists several inscriptions from this burial ground. The Historic Cemeteries of Brookfield hires Sunburst Landscaping to mow and do cleanup in the Old South and Gallows Hill cemeteries, and the town then reimburses the association. Members of the association periodically visit the five cemeteries, such as following storms, to determine whether additional work is required. The Historic Cemeteries of Brookfield Association is seeking volunteers to help find hidden tombstones and to maintain these historic burial grounds. For information or to volunteer, contact the Brookfield Museum & Historical Society 203-740-8140 or at 
www.brookfieldcthistory.org.
Copies of The Cemeteries of Brookfield book can be ordered through the museum. The book lists burials in all of Brookfield’s cemeteries.

The Cemetery

"The Merwin Brook Cemetery parcel is under the jurisdiction of the Historic Cemetery Association, which is part of the Historical Society, Heise explained. The cemetery has no visible headstones and is in the process of being restored.  At one point, the farm was for sale so the owner decided it would be a better selling factor if the headstones were removed.  He took them down and buried them in the ground.  

As soon as they acquired the property, the State Archeologist Dr. Nicholas Bellantoni came to begin searching for the headstones. There are stones that date back to the 1790s, with flags marking graves from Revolutionary War soldiers."
GURSKI MERWIN BROOK LINK


 

Oaklawn Cemetery

No wonder many of the family are here!

Oak Lawn Cemetery Association was incorporated on December 29, 1865.

" Its name resulted from a fortunate coincidence; in the 19th century, Americans regarded the oak and the acorn as symbols of immortality; and, by chance, across Bronson Road from the cemetery towered a stately oak tree – subsequently generations would know it as “Cemetery Oak”. The founders thought the name a logical choice."

The funds necessary for this acquisition improvement came from selling 90 shares of stock at $50 each.

December 29, 1865 the stockholders of Oak Lawn Cemetery cvoted to make John A. Alvord superintendent of the new cemetery. Those who met at the Southport Savings Bank to form the Oak Lawn Cemetery Association were as prominent a group as could have been assembled in Fairfield at the time. 

Captain Edwin Sherwood, who became the Association’s first president, had abandoned his father’s farm when he was seventeen to go to sea. Eventually accumulating more money than he could in good conscience ever spend, he gave up his maritime life in 1850 to become the president of the Southport savings Bank. He served as Oak Lawn Cemetery’s president from its founding in 1865 until his death in September 1886.

John Abel Alvord, the cemetery’s first superintendent and, at 39, its youngest stockholder, was the driving force behind Oak Lawn’s creation. Oliver H. Perry’s services were nearly as essential to the cemetery’s conception as Alvord’s. Perry was the son of a prominent ship owner and merchant. Perry’s sister,Delia, actually owned as much cemetery stock as he did, but, unlike her brother, she appears to have played no role whatsoever in the cemetery’s development. Benjamin Pomeroy, whose efforts on behalf of the cemetery lagged behind only those of Alvord and Perry, lived on Pequot Avenue in Southport.Captain Moses BulkleyCaptain George Bulkley, and Captain Jonathan Godfrey were all close friends of Pomeroy. Warren D. Gookin was the only Oak Lawn stockholder who had grown up outside Southport. His brother-in- law, William Webb Wakeman, himself an Oak Lawn stockholder, convinced Gookin to invest in the cemetery even though he resided in Brooklyn, New York. The last of the ten men and one woman who provided the funds to open the cemetery was Frederick Marquand. Once one of New York’s wealthiest residents, he spent his retirement organizing the Southport Savings Bank, serving as its president before Edwin Sherwood took over that post, and endowing hospitals and schools of theology.

Oak Lawn developed rapidly. . These men were men of business; most of them as much at home in New York as in Southport. Five – Edwin Sherwood, Benjamin Pomeroy, Moses and George Bulkley, and Frederick Marquand – had decided to flee New York permanently for the tranquility Southport offered; William Webb Wakeman and Warren D. Gookin both had plans to follow their colleagues’ example. Alvord, Perry, and Godfrey had never succumbed to New York City’s allure. For all ten, the idea of placing a cemetery in an area that was connected, even remotely, with commerce was preposterous. Even if locating close to the Post Road had not been an invitation to vandalism, they, unlike Fairfield’s original settlers, were convinced that a firm demarcation ought to exist between the commercialism of city and town like and “the place of sepulcher”.

Oak Lawn Cemetery was, from the first, intended to attract visitors, not turn them away. The founders thought of it as a demure but not a doleful place. Cemetery, a word that was only then coming into common use in the United States, originated from the Greek word for “resting place”. As it was understood in nineteenth-century America, the cemetery was a temporary home for deceased persons as they awaited the final judgement. Unlike their Puritan ancestors, Fairfielders by 1865 were generally optimistic about what awaited them after death. No longer obsessed with damnation, more local residents anticipated an eternal life in paradise than one spent amidst the fires of hell. But just as it was a resting place for the dead, Oak Lawn Cemetery served also as a place of repose for the living. Amidst its picturesque but planned landscape, reminded of the accomplishments of ancestors and of the community, impressed by the art of the stone cutter, visitors, while aware of the inevitability of their mortality, were more likely to recognize the achievements of life than to dread the arrival of death.

Accomplishing such noble objectives required foresight and commitment on the part of the Board generally and on the part of Superintendent Alvord in particular. He immediately set about transforming what had been Salmon Wakeman’s cow pasture into a cemetery. Roads had to be established, trees and brush cut, shrubs planted, and lots surveyed.

23 lots were sold in 1866; . Ninety lots were sold the following year .

Sixteen individuals were interred in Oak Lawn in 1866 and 46 the following year. Most of these persons were individuals whose remains had been removed from some other location. Of the first 62 burials, only 10 were first-time burials while 45 were bodies removed from the West Burying Ground, four from the Greenfield Burying Ground, and three from Mountain Grove, a cemetery that primarily served the needs of Bridgeport.
More than half of the first 170 interments were transfers from the West Burying Ground. Whether first or second time burials, virtually all those individuals buried at Oak Lawn during its first few years had lived in Southport, Fairfield, or New York City (probably with a summer home in Southport). Even after the directors voted to establish a potter’s field available to any indigent Fairfield resident, Southport and Fairfield persons continued to dominate the Oak Lawn population.

Once Oak Lawn had graded its land, installed roads, surveyed lots, and planted some trees and shrubs, it only had to maintain the Association property. Individual lot owners either tended their own gravesites or hired others to do so for them. One persistent problem, of course, was that some lot owners either would not or could not keep up their property. This circumstance gave the cemetery an uneven appearance; some lots being carefully manicured while others sat neglected and overgrown. The directors decided in 1874 to meet this problem by voting “that the Superintendent be instructed to keep all the burial lots properly cleaned by being mowed as often as three times a year if necessary.” At the same time, the Association offered each lot owner the opportunity to purchase for the “consideration of one dollar” an agreement from the cemetery “to keep said lot in good order and condition, year by year, by mowing the grass… when necessary, and otherwise caring for the grasses… without expense to the owner of said lot.”

The cemetery’s income grew large enough to retire the outstanding stock of the Association. Back when the cemetery was only a year old, the Association had voted that one third of the gross receipts from the sale of lots should be reserved to pay annual dividends and to buy back a portion of the stock. In December 1869, the Oak Lawn Association agreed to retire half its stock on January 1, 1870; two years later, it decided to withdraw an additional eighth and the following year voted to take up the remaining three-eighths. In other words, as theFairfield News reported, “since 1873 the lot owners have been, and are the sole proprietors of the cemetery and of a substantial and increasing fund for the upkeep and beautifying of the property of the association.”

In 1907 Mabel Osgood Wright began to take a deep interest in the cemetery. She and her sister, Agnes H. Osgood, were convinced that Oak Lawn Cemetery had become too cluttered, too overgrown. They developed a plan to make the grounds less rustic and more park-like. They wanted fewer trees in the cemetery. They hoped to see it become more open, more spacious, more pastoral, more attuned to the modern tastes.

Apparently Mrs. Wright and her allies (including Annie B Jennings) were not the only lot owners dissatisfied with the appearance of the cemetery. Oak Lawn probably needed the improvements they advocated, need to be more open, needed more lawn and fewer trees, needed to become what landscape architects then called a “lawn park cemetery.”

Some of the superintendents and managers(some serving amid controversy on the style and upkeep of the cemetery included Andrew Sherwood, Arthur Mills,  William O. Burr,H. Everett Hull,

Burr also urged that some of the cemetery’s outspoken critics be brought onto the board and their ideas considered. Consequently on December 14, 1927, at the annual lot owners’ meeting, Annie B. Jennings, Virginia B. Perry, Mrs. Helen W. Glover, and Mrs. Isabel Perry joined the eleven male members of the Board. Annie B. Jennings and Helen W. Glover are already known to the reader; Virginia Perry was the granddaughter of one of the cemetery founders, Oliver H. Perry, and the niece of another,George Bulkley; and Isabel Perry was the daughter-in-law of Oliver H. Perry and the widow of Henry Hoyt Perry, Oak Lawn treasurer for 35 years.

Burr’s leadership and Hull’s management, along with the new ideas of the four female directors, apparently did improve the cemetery’s appearance. Relative to a thoroughly modern facility, such as Pinelawn Cemetery on Long Island, Oak Lawn remained old fashioned and dowdy, but without question it had taken on a more park-like look. Mrs. Wright’s efforts, as annoying as they had sometimes been, had not been in vain. Lot owners’ meetings became more placid than they had been in many years.

Another problem, however, emerged to plague Burr and to introduce more dissention to the Board than it had ever known before or has known since. Two local real estate developers began, during the winter of 1927-28, to use the cemetery entrance to reach an otherwise inaccessible parcel of land they owned. President Burr was lackadaisical in forcing the offenders to desist. As a result, Oliver Gould Jennings, a member of the Board and, like his sister, Annie B. Jennings, a person of great wealth and influence, took the unprecedented step of challenging the re-election of an incumbent president. Jennings captured the presidency by a single vote. At the same time, David Hull Sherwood Huntington, the grandson of David Hull Sherwood, became the Oak Lawn Secretary.

Oliver Gould Jennings had no desire to remain president of the cemetery; he had sought the position only to eliminate the trespassing problem. At the end of his first year in office, he resigned and sought election to the newly created office of vice president. Just before he exchanged one office for the other, he presented the cemetery with “an automobile truck.” Consequently, for the first time since it had come into existence, the Oak Lawn Cemetery owned no horses but did have a vice president.

J. Walter Perry took over for Jennings. Like the Association’s first president, Edwin Sherwood, and like another of its founders, Frederick Marquant, Perry was president of the Southport Savings Bank. His sister Virginia B. Perry; his father, John H. Perry; and his grandfathers, Oliver H. Perry and George Bulkley; had all been directors at Oak Lawn. J. Walter Perry remained the president of the cemetery for twenty years, from 1931 until 1951.

During the post-World War II years, the Association’s investments grew prodigiously. This was largely the result of the sound advice the Board’s Investment Committee received fromArthur O. Jennings, a director from 1951 until 1958. The son of Arthur O. Jennings, Oak Lawn president from 1893 until 1916, the younger Jennings managed Charles W. Scranton Company, Stockbrokers, of Bridgeport, the firm that then oversaw the cemetery’s endowment.

Acknowledging the growing complexity of operating the cemetery, the Board in 1970 voted to hire “a full-time paid manager who would, within the framework of general policies adopted by the Board, direct the operations of the cemetery.” Further explaining its decision, the board went on to state “that Oak Lawn had now grown to the point where the burden of directing daily operations and providing the Board with data for reasonable decisions is now more than should be imposed on the President.” Consequently Edward Meeker, who had succeeded I.N. Hawkins as superintendent in 1966, found himself, as of 1971, working forDonald W. Nielsen, Oak Lawn’s first manager.

W. Eben Burr succeeded Overbaugh as Oak Lawn president. His inauguration meant that for the first time the cemetery would be headed by the son of a former president. Burr’s father, William O. Burr, had held that post for four years; his son would remain for six.

As his father had before him, Eben Burr worried about Oak Lawn’s appearance and encouraged the staff to pay particular attention to the impression the facility was likely to make on visitors. The task was a complex one. Overgrown trees and unruly shrubs obscured not only views across the cemetery but also grave markers and even monuments. The cemetery staff found that digging graves was often a time-consuming task as tree limbs, refractory plants, and tenacious roots complicated their work. Because the Depression and the World War had meant depleted manpower and resources for Oak Lawn, much of this unwanted vegetation had avoided a thorough pruning since Burr’s father’s administration. During the Overbaugh years, so much money had been spent paving roads and erecting buildings that the Board had been disinclined to buy the modern equipment needed to give the cemetery the park-like aspect expected by late twentieth century Americans.

The process of transforming the cemetery’s presence began during the years of Eben Burr; it rapidly accelerated once David W.P. Jewitt accepted the Oak Lawn presidency in 1982. Unlike most members of the Board Jewitt could not claim to be a life long Fairfield resident; he initially encountered the town as a child, when his family began spending the summer in Westport. His professional career was spent in banking, first in New York City and eventually in Bridgeport. He realized the cemetery would have to be more willing than ever to spend money if it was to achieve the prominence he believed it deserved. He certainly understood the cemetery crew could operate efficiently only if it used up-to-date machinery. Such equipment would pay for itself, he believed, in terms both of increased productivity, which meant long-term savings, and of the cemetery’s improved appearance, the gauge by which lot owners and potential lot owners judged it.

The Board of Directors is now headed beDavid S. Huntington, Chairman. Bronson K. Hawley is President and Treasurer of the Board. Hawley works at Oak Lawn full time managing daily operations, investments, overseeing automation of the cemetery's records, and the monument business stared in 2003. Other Board member are:  S. Giles Payne (Vice President);  Donald B. Christie (Secretary);  William E. Allen, MD; James P. BiggsBarbara D. BryanDaniel F. CarusoJohn P. FranzenSamuel W. Hawley, Jr.;  Barton N. Johanson;  andAnthony Valenti. All Board members have strong ties to Oak Lawn and, like their predecessors, are strongly committed to maintaining, and up grading where possible, the beauty and sanctity of Oak Lawn's treasured grounds.

1530 Bronson Rd. | Fairfield, CT 06824 | 203.259.0458
from Oaklawn History webpage © Copyright 2006 Oaklawn Cemetery Association, Inc. and FuneralNet

 

 

 


A JUDD NORTHROP GENEALOGY

AMOS ISSUES


AMOS BRIEF TIMELINE-CENSUS

FAMILY NAMES

NEIGHBOR NAMES

DETAILED TIMELINE

MAP 1766

MAP 1777

MAP 1780


MAP 1829

MAP WOODVILLE ROADS

MAP WOODVILLE SATELLITE

~ ~ ~

Amos
Parent / Name
Speculations



Amos may have been a farmer, shoemaker (his eldest known son, Alvin, was a shoemaker) or in a profession related to leather.Chatham, NY reported as birthplace is suspicious. May be Chatham, CT (Alvords) or wrong Northrop line.
Names WITH connections - Amos, BurrNames with possible connections - Gerrit, George, Fenn, Elmore, Winthrop, Blaine, Anzonetta /Antoinetta

A number of Fenns have connections to Joseph Line - Second Congregational Church Milford "Plymouth" Amos had 2 known children but possibly more.Amos might have even spent some time in Berkshire County, MA.

 

It is interesting to observe on the gravestones that widows were called relicts and wives who predeceased their husbands are called consorts.

 

Now Then
Avon settled 1645 originally part of Farmington. 1750 Parish of Northington northern part of Farmington, 1830Northington incorporated as town of Avon. (Samuel fm Milford?)
Bethel Part of Danbury
Bethlem Bethlehem Woodbury
Brookfield Newbury
Bridge- water Shepaug Neck , the neck, South Farms, part of New Milford territory Samuel Clark of Milford, Jeremiah Canfield, Samuel Briscoe, Joseph Benedict, Ephraim Hawley, Jeheil Hawley later moved to Sharon or Salisbury, Joseph Treat Jr.John Treat, Gideon Treat, John Porter , Solomon Noble Sanford, David Lockwood, Joel Fenn, Nathan Bradley, Nathaniel Porter, Samuel Dunning, Lemuel Jennings, Platts, more Sanfords
Cornwall Sold at Fairfield w Western Lands
Cheshire West Farms on Mill River
Danbury Jeremiah also assoc w Newtown & Newbury
Derby Paugusset
Derby Birmingham Seymour - Humphreys-ville was earlier part of Derby , Paugassett
Derby 1st inland settlement on Naugatuck River
 
Greenfield included parts Redding, Wilton perhaps part of Newtown, Trumbull
Kent Bromica, Bull's Bridge, Ore Hill, Schaghti-coke, Flanders, Flat Rocks, Geer Mountain, Good Hill, Treasure Hill, Macedonia
Kent Scatacook Kent Hollow
Litchfield Bantam Bantam Falls Bradleyville Nettleton Hollow, Romford, Smoky Hollow
New Fairfield Abraham as Separate, Thomas as Separate
North of Litchfield New Bantam included Goshen
Milford Wepawaug
Morris South Farms
Newtown Pootatuck
Newtown Thomas Redding & Newtown Episcopal
Northville parts of kent warren washington much of it formerly the "North End of New Milford" including marbledale, new preston
Oxford Quaker Farms
town of Wash- ington & New Preston village 1710, Woodbury north purchase included much of area
Part of Kent & New Prestton 1716 Fairweather purchase just west of the lake.
Plymouth & Bristol) New Cambridge
Ripton north part of Stratford now Huntington Shelton Monroe
Seymour Humphreys-ville petition to be called Richmond also Chuse- town

Humphreys had always been interested in manufacturing and during his visits to England and France, studied their industrial systems carefully.  In 1803, Humphreys started one of the finest woolen mills in the country on a large piece of property located at the falls on the Naugatuck River near many other little mills. 

The village prospered and attracted other manufacturing concerns.  Items such as cotton cloth, paper, furniture and tools such as augers and bits were produced.

Southbury south part of Woodbury
South Britain now part of Southbury
Stratford Cupheag
 
Trumbull North Stratford

Trans- ylvania

Southbury/ Roxbury Road Route 67)

Trans- ylvania Crossroads, locally known as Pine Tree

Wash- ington territory from Woodbury, New Milford, Kent, & Litchfield
Wash- ington Judea & New Preston (was pt of New Milford Marbledale Washington Depot Nettleton Hollow part New Milford North Purchase Woodville Washington Green was Judea, Blackville, Romford
Warren formerly part of Kent
Warren East Greenwich Parish
Waterbury Mattatuck - everything north of early "Derby"part of Oxford & above
Water- town Westbury plymouth was taken from Water-town
Weston Northfield
Woodbury Pomperaug
Wood- bridge & Bethany Amity embraced most of both towns
Northern part of New Milford, & South & South East part of Kent Merryall or Merry-all

 

Freeman's Oath

The oath of fidelity to which freemen were obliged to subscribe before they could exercise the rights that accrued to them when they had taken the freeman's oath:

"You do swear by the ever-living God that you will truly and faithfully adhere to and maintain the government established in this state under the authority of the people, agreeable to the laws in force within the same, and that you believe in your conscience that the King of Great Britain hath not, nor of right ought to have any authority or dominion in or over this state, and that you do not hold yourself bound to yield any allegiance or obedience to him within the same, and that you will, to the unmost of your power, maintain and defend the freedom, independance and privileges of this state against all open enemies or traitorous conspiracies whatsoever, so help you God. And no person shall have authority to execute any of the offices aforesaid after the first day of January next, until he hath taken said oath, and all persons who hereafter shall be appointed to any of said offices shall take said oath before they enter upon the execution of their offices. And no freemen within this state shall be allowed to vote in the election of any of the officers of government until he hath taken the aforesaid oath in the open freemans' meeting in the town where he dwells."

"Names of those persons that have appeared to take the oath of fidelity prescribed by the General Assembly of this state at a General Assembly of the State of Connecticut holden at Hartford in said state on the second Thursday of May, A. D.( 1777."

 

!! Elijah S. Northrop is in Kent in 1830 not close to Alvin -- 3 or 4 pages away 2 pages away from Amos 1010010000000 / 2000010000000 between barlow& cole 1-5-10, 1-10-15, 1-30-40, Who is Elijah S. Northrop???

Formation of Brookfield

After nine years of patient pleading they were allowed to have preaching among themselves at their own expense. How surprising such proceedings seem at the present day. Winter Privileges Granted. "October, 1752. Upon the memorial of Isaac Barnum, Joseph Murry, and others, living in the northeast part of Danbury, the southwest part of New Milford, and the northwest part of Newtown, within the following limits and bounds (viz.): Beginning at a place known by the name of Pond Brook where it enters into the great river, being in Newtown; thence running northwardly on the bank of said river until it comes to the northeast corner of Capt. John Warner's farm lying by said river, being in New Milford, which is a white ash staddle market with stones about it; then running westerly a strait line to the top of the hill called Gallows Hill; thence running a straight line till it intersects New Fairfield east line; thence running southwardly on said line until it comes to the southeast corner of New Fairfield township; thence running a straight line to a certain rock with- stones upon it near the lower end of Beaver Brook Mountain, on the west side of the road leading from Danbury to New Milford; thence running easterly to a certain rock with stones upon it, being in the line between Danbury and Newtown, being on the south end of a swamp known by the name of Bound Swamp; and from thence continuing easterly to the road leading from New Milford to Newtown, including Lieut. Joseph Smith's farm where he now lives, and then running a straight line to the mouth of the Pond Brook where it empties into the great river; praying for liberty to procure and have the preaching of the Gospel among themselves for five months in the year annually, as by their memorial on file: It is thereupon enacted and granted by this Assembly that the memorialists have liberty and power, and the same is hereby granted to the memorialists according to the bounds aforesaid, to procure and have among themselves the preaching of the Gospel five months in the year (viz.): from the first day of November till the last of March annually, from this time, separate from the towns to which they respectively belong as aforesaid; and during the time of such liberty shall be freed from all stated ministerial taxes in the towns and societies to which they respectively belong, as to said five months annually, and have authority to tax themselves, and carry on preaching among themselves according to law, provided they employ some orthodox preacher among them." In this form the society continued until May, 1754, when they petitioned for an ecclesiastical society, and the matter was laid over until the next September, when they again urged their claims, alleging that it was impracticable for many to attend worship, and that they could more easily support preaching among themselves; that a meeting-house was erected; but that the inhabitants were new settlers, and, on account of the war with France, taxes were burdensome; and since much of the land belonged to non-residents, they desired a land-tax of two pence on the acre for four years on unenclosed lands. Upon this the society was incorporated by the same boundaries as given in 1752, and a land-tax of one penny on the acre granted. It was in the next December (1754) that the town of New Milford voted to return the money which had been collected by tax from persons in the Newbury society, for the New Milford Congregational meeting-house, to the Newbury people toward their meeting-house, which they were then building. It was to this church that the First society of the town sent the pulpit from their old meeting-house soon after the above date. In 1755 an effort was made to raise a fund for the Newbury Society by the donation of undivided lands. Stephen Hawley gave thirty acres, Joseph Murry five, and John Noble two and a half, and in 1771 another effort was made, when Stephen Hawley gave seven acres more. In 1772, when the people were trying to secure the organization of a town, New Milford voted not to oppose them. The church was organized in this society, September 28, 1757, and their first minister, Mr. Thomas Brooks, was ordained at the same time. The society of Newbury was organized into a town in 1788, and named Brookfield. The Assessors' list for that part of Newbury society which was contained within New Milford township in 1787, the last year the assessment was made before the town of Brookfield was organized, contained the following names: Josiah Burritt, Albert Barlow, Amarillis Barlow, Francis Burritt, Mitchel Barlow, Thaddeus Baldwin, Edward Beech, Tibbals Baldwin, Samuel Baldwin's heirs, Jonathan Beecher, Robert Bostwick, Enoch Buckingham, Sarah Camp, Theophilus Comstock, Ephraim Curtiss, Dea. Abraham Camp, Achilles Comstock, Levi Camp, Thomas Gushing, Esqr., John Dunning, Isaac Hawley, Jr., Liverius Hawley, Clement Hubbell, Benjamin Hawley, Nehemiah Hawley, Isaac Hawley, David Jackson, Ralph Keeler, Jonathan Keeler, David Keeler, Isaac Lockwood, Andrew Lake's heirs, Samuel Merwin, Jr., Samuel Merwin, Nathan Merwin, Isaac Merwin, Andrew Merwin, Levi Merwin, John Morehouse, Isaac Northrop, Elnathan Noble, Wait Northrop, Joseph Nearing, Henry Nearing. John H. Nearing, William Nichols, Joshua Northrop, Andrus Northrop, Jesse Noble, James Osborn, Israel Osborn, Joseph Olmsted, Richard Olmsted, Henry Peck, Esqr., David Peck, Amiel Peck, Ammi Palmer, Joseph Ruggles, Jr., Comfort Ruggles, Artemus Ruggles, Benjamin Ruggles, Timothy Ruggles, Esqr., Ashbel Ruggles, Samuel Ruggles, Hezekiah Stevens, Jr., John Starr, David Smith, Joseph Smith, James Starr, Rufus Sherman, Samuel Sherman, Thomas Smith, Elijah Starr, Jehiel Smith, Joseph Tomlinson, John Veal, David Wakelee, Samuel Wakelee, Amos Wakelee, Martin Warner, Solomon Warner, Daniel Wheeler. Additional Comments: Extracted from: HISTORY OF THE TOWNS OF NEW MILFORD AND BRIDGEWATER, CONNECTICUT, 1703-1882, BY SAMUEL ORCUTT

Newtown / Newbury to Brookfield
Prior to the white men settling Connecticut in 1636, this area was inhabited by the Pootatuck Indians, members of the Algonkin Federation. Early deeds to lands on both sides of the Still River describe the land of Chief Pokono who for many years ruled in this area. Indian relics can still be found in the hills and fields of Brookfield.

In the year 1687, 20 families petitioned the General Court to become a town. Permission was granted and boundaries were laid out for the Town of Danbury. New Milford was settled in 1707 and Newtown in 1710. As the towns continued to grow and prosper, traveling to church from the northeast corner of Danbury, southwest part of New Milford and northwest part of Newtown became a hardship, especially in winter.

Settlers in our area petitioned the General Assembly in 1743 "to their being set off and made a district Ecclesiastical Society or having liberty for winter parish." "Winter privileges" were finally granted in 1752 and permission for the formation of Newbury Parish was granted in 1754. The name as taken from the three towns making up the area, and official bounds were given.

A meetinghouse site was selected and in 1755 building began in the area essentially occupied by the present Congregational Church. On September 28, 1757 Thomas Brooks was ordained and installed as permanent minister, the same day the meetinghouse was dedicated.

By resolution of the General Assembly in May 1788 the Parish of Newbury became the Town of Brookfield, the name given in honor of Rev. Brooks who had guided its destiny for 30 years. The first Town Meeting was held at the meetinghouse on Monday, June 9, 1788 at one o'clock in the afternoon to vote for Town officers for the ensuing year.

In the 1800's Brookfield was a thriving community with stage coach shops, 2 railroad stations and several taverns and hotels. Industry included saw mills, grist mills, shear shops, lime kilns, comb & button factories, iron works, and harness shops. There were once 8 public school houses, a private school for boys and an internationally aclaimed music school.


older Brookfield Historical Society site

 

"Fairweather Purchase"

 

The old deeds refer frequently to the Fairweather purchase, but as there is no deed on record in Kent of this property a search was made through the old colonial records where it was found that in 1707 there was a large tract of land granted to Hon. Nathaniel Gold, Peter Burr and several others of Fairfleld for a township in what is now the southern portion of Kent and the northern portion of New Milford, and that they in turn sold a part or all of it to Robert Silliman, Richard Hubbell and Benjamin Fairweather of Fairfleld." That contained some 3,800 acres and was six miles in length from east to west and three hundred rods wide. When the owner died the large tract was divided between his heirs.

Among the first Divisions of Kent

Ephraim Hubbel, Sherwood, Noble, Fuller Peter Hubbel (of Greenfield) ,Richard Hubbel, Jedediah Hubbel (also as JH, Esq. ) Johnathan Hubbel, Prudden, Burr, Silliman Morehouse,Wakeman Noble, Northrop, Hickox, Hurlbut, Wheeler Samuel Canfleld, John Smith, David Smith, Nathaniel Smith, Joseph Fuller, Pelatiah Marsh.Cyrus Marsh, , Ebenezer Marsh, ,,William Marsh Azariah Pratt, Daniel Pratt, Joseph Pratt Jr., Daniel Pratt, Peter Pratt, Joseph Peck, John Porter, ,Nathaniel Sanford, Henry Silsby, Jabez Swift, Zephania Swift, Nathaniel Slosson, Isaac Camp, Isaac Camp

 

 

 
 

Did you know -
There are 3,967 people in the U.S. with the last name Northrop.

Statistically the 8512th most popular last name.


There are 4,272 people in the U.S. with the last name Northrup. Statistically the 8013th most popular last name.
from

How many of me


There are fewer than 1,526 people in the U.S. with the first name Northrop. The estimate for this name is not absolute.

There are fewer than 1,526 people in the U.S. with the first name Northrup. The estimate for this name is not absolute.


deed from the Ramapoo Tribe of Indians and their associates to the proprietors, viz. : John Belden, Samuel Keeler, Sen., Matthias Saint John, Benjamin Hickcock, John Beebee, Samuel Saint John, Mathew Seamor, James Brown, Benjamin Wilson, Joseph Birch- ard, John Whitne, Sen., John Bouton, Joseph Keeler, Samuel Smith, Junior, Jonathan Stevens, Daniel Olmstead, Richard Olmstead, John Sturtevant, Samuel Keeler, Junior, Joseph Bouton, Jonathan Rockwell, Edward Waring, Joseph Whitne, Daniel Olmstead, Thomas Hyatt, James Benedick, Joseph Crampton, Ebenezer Sension, Matthias Saint John, all of the Town of Norwalk in ye County of Fairfield in her Majesties Colony of Connecticut, in New England, and Thomas Smith, Thomas Canfield and Samuel Smith of ye Town of Milford in ye County of New Haven a 30th day of September in ye seventh year of the reign of our Sovereign Lady, Anne, Queen of England, and in the Year of our Lord God 1708.

14. Norwalk, settled 1649; incorporated Sept., 1651, "Norwaukee shall bee a townee," Algonkin noyank, point of land, or more probably from the Indian name, "Naramauke."

ejnorthrop damnedcomputer.com                 #BEAD75

This home on Pequot Avenue, Southport, Connecticut is a recently restored example of the Northrop Brothers fine carpentry and building in the Southport-Greeens Farms area.

Image Courtesy of David Parker Associates