Northrop Genealogy ~~~ Penfield ~ Penfield Tavern
Scan of a 1984 Town Clerk booklet cover.
Sun Tavern, on the Fairfield Green, was built about 1780, replacing an earlier Sun Tavern, burnt during the British raid of 1779. The Tavern was operated by Samuel Penfield (younger brother of ancestor, James Penfield) , who acquired the property in 1761. George Washington stayed at the Tavern the night of October 16, 1789, during a presidential tour of New England. The building, which had an early ballroom on the third floor, remained a tavern until Penfield’s death in 1811, after which it passed through several owners as a private home. It was purchased by Robert Manuel Smith in 1885 and remained in the Smith family until 1977. The following year, it was acquired by the Town of Fairfield and was used as the Town Historian’s residence into the early 1990s. Still owned by the town, Sun Tavern has been recently restored and is now managed as a historic site by the Fairfield Museum and History Center.
Presumably, the easy access to products of his father's/brother's mill assisted in providing a reliable (and hopefully, high quality) offering of foodstuffs at the Tavern.
Beth and Tom's Grandmother, Estella Keeler Jennings was the daughter of Mary Penfield (b. Sept 11, 1792) & Wakeman Jennings (12/25/1815 d Feb 11 1872) of Greens Farms.
Mary was the daughter of James Penfield (b Feb 24, 1761d dec 11, 1842). & Mary Tucker (b sept 18 1766 d. sept 22, 1854). I believe it was her grandfather James Penfield who ran the Penfield Mills at the time of the Revolution and her father may have worked or run the mill.
Mary's great, great grandfather was Samuel Penfield, but he is probably too early to have been the operatort of Sun Tavern. The family lore is that someone in the fammily ran the tavern, so perhaps an uncle ran the tavern.
The town is nearly finished restoring a historic structure where George Washington slept in October 1789 during his tour of colonies invaded and torched by the British.The original Sun Tavern on Town Green didn’t survive the British invasion of Fairfield in 1779, but Samuel Penfield, a prominent Revolutionary War-era resident, rebuilt the tavern in 1784.
Washington, inaugurated as the country’s first president in April 1789, stayed overnight in Sun Tavern from Oct. 16 to 17 of that year, according to the Fairfield Historical Society.
“There is pretty sound evidence to support George Washington having stayed here when he came to Fairfield,” said David Parker, a local architect who’s done a lot of research on Sun Tavern. “In that way, this building ties us to the history of the United States.”
Sun Tavern, one of six town-owned historic structures managed by the Fairfield Historical Society, needed a lot of work, Parker said.
Goals of the restoration were to make the tavern structurally sound and return it to the way it looked in the early 19th century, Parker said.
The restoration was done by town Department of Public Works employees and Domus Constructors of Norwalk and is expected to cost nearly $200,000 by the time it’s finished, according to Michael Jehle, executive director of the Fairfield Historical Society, and Chief Fiscal Officer Paul Hiller.
The Excavations at Sun Tavern by Rob Wallace
For over the past three years volunteers from the Fairfield Historical Society and members from the Norwalk Community College Archaeology Club have contributed their time and expertise excavating on the grounds of an 18th century building known as the Sun Tavern.
The building itself is situated on one of the original "Four Squares" of the Town of Fairfield which was founded in 1639. This site was occupied by various families beginning with the Reverend John Jones in 1640 until 1761 when Samuel Penfield purchased the land from Thomas and Hannah Gibbs.
Research is still on going to determine the year that Penfield actually started to operate the building as a tavern. But records do show that, when the British burned Fairfield during their invasion in 1779, Penfield lost his house, barn, shop, outbuildings, and other items. The building was rebuilt about a year later and by 1789 was operating as a tavern. Among its guests was George Washington, who stayed there while on his tour of the New England states that same year.
The tavern operated until Penfield's death in 1811. Afterwards the building became a private residence. During the 1830s an addition was added on to the east side of the structure by Reverend Lyman Atwater. The property changed hands several times during the mid 1800's and was purchased by Robert Manuel Smith in 1885. A barn and a small cottage were built in 1888 and are still standing on the site.
The building stayed in the Smith family, through various relatives, till 1977. It was then purchased by the Town of Fairfield in 1978 and was used as a residence by the Town Historian till the early 1990's.
During the past three seasons archaeology has been initiated at the site and has yielded some interesting features such as a dry well and a foundation of a small structure. The function of this structure has not yet been determined and research is still ongoing. A total of eighteen 1 meter x 1 meter square units have been excavated so far (with one still in the process of being completed at the time of this writing). Many artifacts have been recovered and are currently being analyzed. Recovered artifacts include pipe stems and bowls, including a nearly intact pipe. These clay pipe artifacts provide further evidence of the structure's use as a tavern in the 18th century. Based on their bore diameter, close to 75% of these recovered pipe stems date to the second half of the 18th century. Nails are represented from the hand wrought through the wire style. Many different ceramic types have also been uncovered. They include pearlware, delft, redware, whiteware and stoneware. An interesting note on the stoneware: in one quadrant (50 cm x 50 cm) of a one meter square unit over 150 pieces were recovered representing as far as we can tell at least three different vessels. The density of the ceramic shards could possibly represent vandalism by British forces as they burned the town in 1779. Other interesting items recovered were gunflints, spoons, scissors and buttons. There is also a small prehistoric Native American component of the site, represented by several pieces of pottery and some debitage (stone tool waste flakes).
1625 in SUFFOLK, ENG.
Death: in GUILFORD, CT
Note: Note: SAVAGE STATES THERE'S A WILLIAM IN MIDDLETOWN 1662-3
|Samuel Penfield Samuel Penfield (ca. 1651–1710, first generation)
Earliest Penfield born in North America. He was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, and in 1675 married Mary Lewis of Charlestown, Massachusetts. In 1679 they moved to Rehobeth, Massachusetts with two small children. The family later moved to Bristol, Rhode Island, and finally to Guilford, Connecticut in 1708. Their ten children, 5 boys and 5 girls, all grew to maturity.b.Jan 1652/53, Lynn, MAd.30 Nov 1711, Guilford, CT, age: 5812
Samuell Penfeald, Samuell Penffeald45
|Samuel Penfield Jr. b.17 Sep 1676, Lynn, MA d.22 Nov 1714, Guilford, CT, age: 38|
|Peter Penfield b Jul 14,1702 Bristol m. may 28 1730 d jul 11 1772 Bethel Cemetery||Mary Lewis b.4 Jan 1651/52, Malden, MAd.30 Jan 1741/42, Guilford, CT, age: 90
d/o on Lewis b.ca 1603, Eastbourne, Sussex, England, UKd.16 Sep 1657, Malden, MA, age: 54 & Mary Browne b.1630, Hawkedon, England, UK
|Hannah Boreman Fry b.20 Oct 1676, Yarmouth, MA d.aft 1771, Bristol, RI, age: 94
|James Penfield apr 28, 1732 fairfield, m. apri 23, 1758 d. mar 12 1794 fairfield cemetery
Older Brother of Samuel M. Penfield (1734–1811, fourth generation)
Keeper of the Sun Tavern in Fairfield, CT, where Washington, Adams, and Lafayette were often? guests. This restored tavern is now administered by the Fairfield Historical Society. b.28 Apr 1732, Fairfield, CTd.12 May 1794, Fairfield, CT, age: 62
|Dr. Lt. Gideon Allen
b. 9 AUG 1671 Boston, MA d. 25 JAN 1750/51 Fairfield m2 Jane Hill b: 1676 m.10 AUG 1749
|Mary Allen b. Aug 6, 1708 Fairfield d. Aug 1, 1789 Bethel Cemetery Married by Joseph Webb to Peter Penfield this was Mary's second marriage.|
|James Penfield b Feb 24, 1761 m. dec 24, 1786 d dec 11, 1842 apoplexy
||Ann Reeve/Russ? there are other candidates Anna BURR b: ABT 1675 in Fairfield d/o Nathaniel Burr b: ABT 1635 Springfield, CT (s/o Jehue Burr b: 1600 Suffolk, Eng. &Elizabeth Cable b: 1600 Suffolk, Eng.)
Mother: Sarah Ward b: ~ 1639 - 1640 Wethersfield, (d/o Andrew Ward b: 1597 Essex, Eng. & Hester Sherman b: 1 APR 1606 Dedham, Essex, Eng.)
|Nathaniel Burr b: ~ 1664 Fairfield|
(5 Apr 1700 -29 Apr 1776 ) findagrave old burying ground age 76 s/o Nathaniel Burr b: ~ 1664 Fairfield &
Susannah Lockwood b: ~ 1665 Fairfield
|Susannah Lockwood b: ~ 1665 Fairfield|
|Ellen Burr b. Feb 23, 1734 fairfield d. mar 12, 1803 fairfield cemetery b.23 Feb 1733/4, Fairfield, CT d.12 Mar 1803, Fairfield, CT, age: 69
m. 23 Apr 1758, Fairfield, CT
|Nathaniel Burr b: 1640 Springfield, Hampden MA d. 26 Feb 1712 Fairfield Deputy to General Assembly 1692-1695 from Fairfield m2 Hannah/Ann Goodyear, widow of Samuel Wakeman s/o Jehu Burr b: 1600 Eng. & Elizabeth Cable b: ~ 1600
|Peter Burr b: Mar 1668 Fairfield|
|Sarah Ward b: 1639/1640 Wethersfield d. Fairfield after 1684 d/o Andrew Ward b: 1597 Homerfield, Norfolk, Eng.
& Hester Sherman c: 1 Apr 1606 Dedham, , Essex, Eng.
|Mary Penfield b. Sept 11, 1792 m. Wakeman Jennings 12/25/1815 d Feb 11 1872 in Greens Farms||Abigail (Burr) Burr
(1702 - 8 Jul 1780) b. 25 Oct 1702 Fairfield, d. 8 Jul 1780 Fairfield From the WorldConnect Database: "Black/NobleCT", by Julie Barrows:
"WILL: 1 Feb 1777, action 11 Jan 1810 on "estate of Abigail widow of Ephriam Burr who d. 27 yrs since, partly intestate, but under incumbrance during life of her daughter Abigail Burr who lately dec'd"; distribution ordered to: heirs of Lyman Jennings, only child of her dec'd dau Eunice; Silas Burr, Anna Catherine, heirs of Eunice, heirs of Abigail , and Sally, - the heirs of her eldest son Ephriam dec'd; James Penfield, David Thaddeus, heirs of Ephriam Penfield dec'd, Ellen, Mary, Eunice, and Anna, - heirs of her dec'd dau Ellen Penfield; Sally wife of Samuel Wakeman, only heir of her dec'd dau Abigail Burr; her sau Sarah wife of Eleazer Osborn; her son Peter Burr. the distribution called the grandaughter Anna (dau of her son Ephriam) wife of Gershom Osborn, Jr. "
|&: Abigail [Unknown] b: Abt 1670|
|Mary Tucker b sept 18 1766 d. sept 22, 1854 m. 12/24/1786|
b: ~ 1713 Fairfield, CT d. 15 AUG 1752 Fairfield s/o Joseph WAKEMAN b: 1670 Fairfield,&
Elizabeth HAWLEY b: 6 MAY 1679m. Ruth ROGERS b4 1740
b: ABT 1743 Fairfield d. 2 OCT 1817 Fairfield
m2 2 William THORP b: ~ 1734 Fairfield, CTm. 5 MAR 1792
|Eliezer Eleazer ROGERS b: 6 MAY 1642 Milford,CT c: 15 MAY 1642 1St Church, Milford
|Sgt. Joseph ROGERS m1 Sarah CLARK m.1700 Milford m2 Elizabeth CLARK|
|Elizabeth KNOWLES b: 1630 in Fairfield|
|Mother: Ruth ROGERS
b: ABT 1712 d. BEF 1784 d/o Sgt. Joseph ROGERS & Sarah CLARK.
|George CLARK deacon or farmer?? b: ~ 1613, c: Great Munden,Hertford, Eng.
|Samuel CLARK c: OCT 1645 in Of Milford, CT d. 1719 Milford
|Sarah HARVEY b: 1622 in Of Milford or Sarah Northrup (sister of Joseph) b 1622 England d. 19 Jul 1689 Milford|
|Sarah CLARK b: 10 OCT 1678 Milford,CT c: 9 APR 1710 Milford d. 13 SEP 1750 Milford|
|George Clark Farmer 1615 Great Mundon, Herfordshire, Eng|
|Mary CLARKE c: 3 FEB 1650/1651 Milford||
Samuel Clark, son of "Deacon" George, mar. Mary Clark (Dec. 21, 1673) dau. of "Farmer" George and Sarah Clark, bapt. Feb. 3, 1650/1. They had six children, among whom was Sarah, b. abt. 1678: d. Sept. 1, 1750 ?. 72: mar. Joseph Rogers.--In his will dated Feb. 14, 1719 Samuel Clark makes a devise to his "daughter Sarah Rogers that part of the Estate which I had by my former wife, her mother, which is called Daniel's homested where her father Rogers lives." (Samuel Clark died leaving a wife Sarah: date of death of first wife not known.)
|Sarah * NORTHRUP b: 1620 in Yorkshire, England m.1636|
|additional info from http://www.penfield.fm/genealogy/wc01/wc01_078.html|
|Children of Samuel Penfield & Mark Lewis|
Samuel Penfield Jr.(17 Sep 1676 - 22 Nov 1714)
Mary Penfield(24 Oct 1678 - aft 1748)
Sarah Penfield(20 Feb 1679/80 - 21 Oct 1730)
John Penfield(30 May 1683 - 3 May 1750)
Isaac Penfield(27 Jul 1685 - 22 Oct 1754)
Hannah Penfield(29 Oct 1687 - 12 Oct 1778)
Jonathan Penfield(21 Nov 1689 - 11 Apr 1735)
Rebecca Penfield(23 Oct 1692 - 3 Oct 1714) [Twin]
Abigail Penfield(23 Oct 1692 - 9 Sep 1756) [Twin]
Benjamin Penfield(26 Apr 1696 - ca 1770)
|Children of Samuel Penfield, Jr & Hannah Boreman Fry|
Samuel Penfield(19 Jul 1700 - 2 Nov 1747)
Peter Penfield(14 Jul 1702 - 11 Jul 1772)
Abigail Penfield(22 Dec 1704 - 14 Feb 1747/8)
Nathaniel Penfield(10 Feb 1705/6 - 5 Jan 1776)
Mary Penfield(ca 1710 - 6 Jul 1785)
Hannah Penfield(20 Aug 1714 - )
|Children of Peter Penfield & Mary Allen|
Mary Penfield(18 Apr 1731 - 16 Jul 1753)
James Penfield(28 Apr 1732 - 12 May 1794)
Lt. Samuel M. Penfield(5 Nov 1734 - 2 Apr 1811) Tavern Keeper
Hannah Penfield(10 Nov 1737 - 7 Jan 1809)
Sarah Penfield(23 May 1740 - )
Lydia Penfield(14 Feb 1741/42 - 28 Dec 1816)
Capt. Peter Penfield(13 Sep 1743 - 12 Jan 1812)
|Children of James Penfield & Ellen Burr|
Mary Penfield(10 Mar 1759 - )
James Penfield(24 Feb 1761 - 11 Dec 1842)
Ephraim Penfield(18 Feb 1763 - 1809)
Thaddeus Penfield(7 May 1765 - 28 Jun 1845)
Ellen Penfield(10 Jun 1767 - )
David Penfield(10 Sep 1769 - 25 Mar 1845)
Eunice Burr Penfield(28 Feb 1773 - 4 Oct 1831)
|Children of James Penfield & Mary Tucker|
Ruth Penfield(22 Sep 1787 - 22 Jun 1874)
m. John Burr Jennings
Descendant, generation 6
Sally Penfield(22 Dec 1788 - 19 Mar 1870) m James Burr b. ca 1787 d. 6 Nov 1826, age: 39
Wakeman Penfield(23 Oct 1790 - 9 Oct 1865) m. Deborah Terrill b. 21 Dec 1786 d. 20 Sep 1858, Willoughby, OH, age: 71
Mary Penfield(11 Sep 1792 - 11 Feb 1872) m. Wakeman Burr Jennings b. 12 Apr 1793 d. 28 Oct 1867, age: 74 s/o Peter Jennings(9 Sep 1764 - 5 May 1841) & Sarah Wakeman(1773 - 1857)
Eunice Penfield(7 Jul 1794 - 27 May 1872)b. 7 Jul 1794 d. 27 May 1872, age: 77 m. Rev. Cyrus Silliman s/o Cyrus Silliman(25 Aug 1770 - 12 Aug 1842) & Hannah Jennings(1776 - 1833) (Gershom & Rhoda Sanford b. 20 Feb 1794 d. 14 Oct 1884, age: 90
Burr Penfield(7 Mar 1796 - 25 Mar 1824) b. 7 Mar 1796 d. 25 Mar 1824, age: 28 never married
Hannah Penfield(4 Aug 1798 - 3 Apr 1878) m. William Leavenworth Peet b. 17 Nov 1788, Bridgeport, CT d. 12 Sep 1866, age: 77
Lydia Penfield(8 Jun 1800 - 28 Nov 1882) b. 8 Jun 1800 d. 28 Nov 1882, age: 82
Lewis W. Penfield(5 Dec 1802 - 26 Jun 1865) b. 5 Dec 1802 d. 26 Jun 1865, age: 62 Coachmaker m. b. 26 Aug 1800, Monroe, CT d. 15 Sep 1862, age: 62
William Penfield(8 Feb 1805 - 12 Apr 1892) b. 8 Feb 1805 d. 12 Apr 1892, age: 87 m. Jane Edwards b. 31 Jul 1812 d. 31 Jan 1844, age: 31
Andrew Penfield(17 Jul 1808 - 2 Jan 1885) b. 17 Jul 1808 d. 2 Jan 1885, age: 76 m. Mary Bennett b. 20 Apr 1813 d. 29 Apr 1874, age: 61
contact email@example.com http://www.penfield.fm/genealogy/wc06/wc06_366.html
by Cece Saunders, Historical Perspectives, Inc.
How did man, horse and wagon traverse the mud, muck, and marshes that so often surrounded our earliest coastal towns and river settlements? Without the modern benefits of steel and concrete that create reliable bridges, how did the 18th century road builder span those wet and muddy stretches?
This Wheeler "homelot" at the "head of shipharbour" was the nucleus of Black Rock village. The village was for many years inhabited by Thomas
Other families came to share with the Wheelers the homesites by the
"1 AMOS NORTHROP, b. Jan. 8, 1778, probably at Chatham, N. Y most of children's census records say NY-- between 1774-1800 but may not have been LIVING in NY. Amos' 1850 Census record says CT . Lived also at Warren and Kent, Conn. D. May 16,1855, Warren, Conn. (have not found any record of his death or marker) M. Rachel Ivés (b. March 15,1775).had at least two wives married Susuan Chaugham/Chaugum (Lighthouse tribe Molly Barber descendant) Kent, CT Oct. 26, 1829.
elmer h 31 in 1860
lucy northrop brookfield in 1870 census there is a younger Elmer elmore age 41 farmer also a george age 14 cornwall geo age 47
Abel with Camp,Fenn
This home on Pequot Avenue, Southport, Connecticut is a recently restored example of the Northrop Brothers fine carpentry and building in the Southport-Greeens Farms area.
Image Courtesy of David Parker Associates